Oy Suomen Trikootehdas A/B was founded in Pyynikki, Tampere, in 1903. Finnish From the very beginning, Trikoo advertised strongly because consumers were still unfamiliar with factory-made knitted products In the early 1900s. Initially, in addition to jersey clothing, the factory produced blankets, shoulder scarves, sweaters, and galoshe linings. By the 1920s, the quality of products improved and the practical leotard was supplanted gradually by cotton fabric underwear. The factory flourished and expanded by acquiring its competitors.
After years of shortages in the early 1930s, the factory was experiencing a boom. Women's home, office, and travel suits, as well as sweaters and a lot of jumpers, were produced. Also gaining popularity were ski suits, a wide variety of gymnastics and tracksuits, underwear as well as swimwear. Finnish athletes wore Finnish Trikoo costumes in international competitions.
During the war years, the factory was plagued by both labor and raw material shortages but still supplied the army with sweaters, socks, and gloves. After the wars, the factory became part of a sock factory that was built in Tampere. The company also began to invest in exports and participated in international fairs. New forms of advertising were still being sought. In the 1960s, Suomen Trikoo introduced new brands.
Tights became one of Finland’s most successful products. The Finnwear brand was born in the 1960s as an export brand. Later, under it marketed all the factory jersey products. In the 1970s-80s, exports to Sweden and the USSR were strong.
By the 1990s, the product range of Suomen Trikoo had remained broadly the same. The Group was divided into several different product groups, which were Sock Group, Black Horse, Finnwear, and Tricol Oy. Suomen Trikoo was decommissioned in 1996. Activities in the Pyynikin factories ended in 2002 and the diminished business was transferred to Nanso's ownership in 2005.